Welcome to Marauder Moments - a chronicle of the Mortimer Street Marauders; the games we play, the rules we use, the figures we play with and the scenery they fight over. Hope you enjoy these pages and maybe call back to catch up with our escapades.

Friday 28 November 2014

Napoleon's hat...

I have had a very good year business wise so when pondering my "self-pressie" for Christmas I simply couldn't resist bidding on this iconic piece of head wear. Sadly I couldn't fly to the auction at Fontainebleau in person so my P.A. (Christina) kindly handled my phone bids - which she won!

It seems like  a lot of money for an old hat but hey - like Napoleon found out "you can't take it with you!"    

My new hat.

My new hats provenance, quite a tale. 
Naturally I'm bullshitting as usual - I didn't really buy it. I do have Wellington boots and an eye patch  a bit like Nelson's though! I also quaff Napoleon Brandy on occasion.

However I thought you might like to ponder the value of an old hat once worn by someone famous. He owned about 120 of these in his lifetime apparently. I like to think a fabulously rich wargamer now wears it whilst playing with amazing toy soldiers on a huge table somewhere out there.

Be good, JJ.  

3 comments:

  1. Jeremy, I'll send you a photo of me in me new hat. It fits quite well...

    ReplyDelete
  2. They could have done a blog give away if they felt they would never use them again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol you meet several of those criteria already what with the massive table and beautiful models! :)

    ReplyDelete